About Me

The adventures of Christian Toronto, a full-time missionary serving in the Rome Italy Mission (Dec 2016-Dec 2018). Christian grew up in Minnesota, then moved to Colorado right before his senior year in high school. He is the third of seven children. He was attending Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah prior to his missionary call. Christian's older brother Simeon completed his mission in Rome, Italy a day before Christian left for his so they literally swapped places. We call them our Roman soldiers for Christ. In his free time, Christian loves basketball, tennis, american history and politics, and music.

Thursday, January 5, 2017

The Best Week of My Life

Bringing in the New Year

As I sit down for the first time on P-Day, it's crazy how much I'd like to say to all of you. This first week and a day in the MTC has been without a doubt, the best of my life. Many Elders and Sisters compare the MTC to a prison camp, and while the perpetually falling snow does give the place a "Siberian work camp" feel, for me it has been liberating. It felt weird yesterday when we left the MTC campus, and I count that as a major blessing, feeling home in a place I have been for just a short time. A few of the major highlights from the week:

1. Day 1 was a blur. After getting a wonderful breakfast with Nana, Grace, and Abigail, we ventured down to Provo. As I was dropped off with my host missionary, I gave one last hug to the girls, and stepped off into the next adventure in the oh-so-interesting life of Anziano Toronto. After collecting that which I needed from the MTC bookstore, and dropping off my luggage in my residency, I was taken to my classroom, where I met my teacher for the first time. Fratello Jenson is the best, hands down, no contest, don't even argue with me. I met the other teachers, Sorella Bucco and Fratello Hatch, the latter of which immediately recognized my last name, leading me to believe he either taught or served with Anziano Toronto the First. The true challenge was immediately evident as all they spoke was Italian. Since that first day, I have not heard Fratello Jensen utter a single sentence in English, which is incredibly useful as I am trying to understand this language. After sending a quick letter home, letting you know I got here safe, we returned to the classroom, and were taught, all in Italian, for the ensuing 3 hours. I felt like my mind was a slowly melting block of ice, initially solid, but in direct proximity to the fire of the spirit, melted into a puddle. Despite the mental taxation, that first day was a blast, as we grew to know our district, and ended the night by meeting our Zone Leaders, a Tripanionship of Romanian elders who had been in the MTC for 5 weeks. Sleeping that night was not a problem in the slightest, I was exhausted from the labors of the day.

2. The next couple days similarly flew by. Day 2 marked a significant milestone, as Anziano Osmond and I taught our first investigator lesson, all in Italian. Let me just testify to you right now, the gift of tongues is real, and is given to those called to preach the gospel to God's people. In just a week, my capacity with the language has skyrocketed. While we are told not to compare ourselves to others in the MTC, it was clear from the beginning I was far more prepared than the other Anziani. I attribute most of this to the diligent teaching of Mr. Ahlquist, back at Andover High, who taught me just about all the Spanish I know, and the rest of this to Giuseppe Taranto, who seems to be whispering in my ear the translation to just about everything my teachers say. Comprehension is incredibly high, and is a blessing to not have to struggle to understand. I feel extraordinarily blessed in that regard. As far as speaking goes, I am quickly proving my doubts wrong, as I learn to conjugate verbs, use correct noun tenses and masculinity, and communicate, albeit simply, the gospel of Jesus Christ. By the end of today, we will have taught 5 lessons in Italian, each one successively better than the last. Yesterday marked another milestone, as Anziano Osmond and I taught without writing out phrases we were going to use, or questions we were going to ask, and simply relied on the spirit to direct our path. It went remarkably well! While my use of grammar and structure was laughable, the meaning and importance of the lesson, centered around Christ's example regarding baptism, was clear. At the end of the lesson, we challenged our "investigator," who had testified to us that she knew the Book of Mormon was true, and that Joseph Smith was a prophet, to be “baptized" on the 30th of January. The rest of our lessons with Daniella will focus on preparing her to follow Christ's example in Matthew 3.

3. Sunday was undoubtedly the most spiritual day I have ever had. Between a mission conference taught by the very soon to be released MTC presidency, a fast, spiritually focused on increasing my testimony of the reason I am out here, a visit to the temple to pray and feel the spirit, and instruction from Brother Hemingway of the Church's Missionary department, I have never been more spiritually fed. As I listened to Bro. Hemingway testify of the power of giving everything you have, visiting just one more door, teaching just one more lesson, I recognized the truth of what he was saying.
Anziano Toronto (left) in front of the Provo Temple.



The crowning jewel of the night, however, was the video recording of Elder Bednar's MTC devotional entitled the Character of Christ. Never before have I felt the spirit stronger than when this apostle of the Lord taught to me the importance of turning outward from our natural man, (compared to the cookie monster, imagine Elder Bednar saying in a Dikembe Mutumbo voice, "I WANT COOKIE NOW!" and you basically saw the video too), and sharing with everyone the light of Christ. This talk contained far more powerful lessons and teachings than most any general conference talk I've listened to, and I'm thoroughly convinced the Lord saves his most profound messages for those who serve him with all their heart, might, mind, strength, and time. Similarly, our Tuesday night devotional was taught by Sister Oscarson, and the same feeling of power and validity resonated throughout that MTC gym, where just hours before I had exercised. I live for the opportunity to hear from the Lord's ordained servants.

4. Just a few more things, as I'm running short on time! MTC food is not my mother’s cooking, and I daily experience adverse side effects, but I know, like the Lord told Joseph Smith in Liberty Jail, that this is but a blink of an eye in terms of trials, and that I soon will reach the promised land, flowing with alfredo sauce and olive oil. I love my companion, and the rest of my district, and could not be having more fun! We have celebrated many holidays, like first night, first lesson, and more, but the greatest holiday occurred Tuesday night, as we celebrated First Week.



I'll close with a short testimony in Italian:

Lo so che, mi scopo a un missionario e a invitare le persone a venire a Cristo, aiuttandole ad accetare il Vangelo Restaurato, mediante le fede in Gesu Cristo, e la sua
 espiazione, il pentimento, il battesimo, il conferimento del dono dello Spirito Santo, e
​​perserverando sino alla fine, e Io so che Gesu e mi Salvatore. Ti amo, e cuesto missione!

To Anziano Toronto I, Brother Whiting says hello!

Anziano Toronto II

Work Hard--Play Hard in the MTC.
Anziano Toronto celebrated his birthday his first week in the MTC.






No comments:

Post a Comment