About Me

The adventures of Christian Toronto, a full-time missionary serving in the Rome Italy Mission (Dec 2016-Dec 2018). Christian grew up in Minnesota, then moved to Colorado right before his senior year in high school. He is the third of seven children. He was attending Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah prior to his missionary call. Christian's older brother Simeon completed his mission in Rome, Italy a day before Christian left for his so they literally swapped places. We call them our Roman soldiers for Christ. In his free time, Christian loves basketball, tennis, american history and politics, and music.

Sunday, January 15, 2017

Second to Smiling, Work is my Favorite!

Anziano Toronto with President Burgess and Sister Burgess


First and foremost, sorry to my mother, for making her wait an extra day, but this week on Sunday, our schedules were changed, and our P-day was moved to Friday. Hope nobody suffered too bad in anticipation of my letter, because I wasn't being non-communicative, just obedient!

(Please share this next part with Abe!)

Second and only slightly less foremost, HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY to my homeslice Abe! I felt my first pang of homesickness as I put on my Abraham's Christmas belt, and wished I could be there to celebrate with you on your special day... A few things I love about Abe, since I wasn't there to tell him in person: 1) competitive drive - Abe constantly drives himself to be better, whether that's in sports, music, school, and learning, he always wants to improve himself! 2) Spirit - Dad pointed this out a few times over the past year, but I have really noticed a significant change in Abe as he has received the gift of the holy ghost, and committed himself as a member of the church. As I prepare to share that gift and experience with the people of Italy, I am grateful for a little brother who embodies the truths found in 2 Nephi 31 regarding baptism! 3) Last but not least, Abe has the greatest laugh. Whether he's being tickled, or just cracking up at a joke, he has a contagious, lovable laugh! I wish I could deliver a hug in person, but know that your missionary brother prays for you every night, and wants the absolute best for you! I'd love to get an email from you sometime soon, I Love you my Monkey!


As far as an update on the important things that occurred this week, here goes:

1) Unfortunately, this week had a few goodbyes... The first was Anziano Smith, who was an Elder in our district, and was Elder Christensen's companion. He struggled with illness, and a few other things since getting here, and it was decided on Monday that he would be returning home, in hopes that he could serve in another capacity here in Salt Lake City. Elder Christensen joined the companionship of Anziani Laudert and Moody, two spiritual giants, and has greatly blessed the two of them. As Zone Leader, I have had the opportunity to interview each District Leader, and many of the Elders, and have heard so many positive things about the progression of the work in District 22! The second goodbye was tinged with happiness, as we bid farewell yesterday to President and Sister Burgess. After serving 50,000 missionaries over the course of the last 4 years, the Burgess' are a fantastic example of Christlike service, and embody Elder Bednar's definition of the Character of Christ, (turning outward in all interactions, and constantly looking to help those around them). I got a picture with them before they headed out, and also learned of a familial connection I have with Sister Burgess. I was grateful to see their example of missionary service here in the MTC!



The last goodbye was to Brother and Sister Whiting, who have faithfully served in our Branch for the last 3 years. Brother Whiting instantly remembered Simeon, and recalled almost to the day, their first meeting. In just a few short days, Bro Whiting impacted positively my testimony of both the Book of Mormon, and post-mission faithfulness, (enduring to the end). He was released this last Sunday, and I was truly devastated to see him go. He was an incredible teacher and leader to all in our branch!



2) Instruction - this week we had the opportunity to instruct, and be instructed. Highlights include hearing from Elder Anderson on Tuesday night, who gave a few pieces of advice, and bore solemn witness of the reality and divinity of our Heavenly Father and his son Jesus Christ. To hear an apostle of the lord testify of Christ so boldly was incredible... a faith building experience to be sure. Fratello Jenson continues to be an incredible instructor, and this week we added Sorella Francom. Both of them are patient and awesome, and I simply cannot get enough of the Italian language. While smiling is my second favorite, I've taken the advice of the Gimbel's boss in the movie Elf, and made work my favorite! Whether it's preparing to teach, memorizing passages of scripture, or continually learning verbs, nouns and phrases in Italian, I dig in and love it. I'm grateful for the many ways I've been instructed, and have been able to instruct in return. Anziano Osmond and I are working with two new "investigators", Alessia and LORENZO (Sra Francom and Fllo Jenson), and they are not making it easy on us. We work every single lesson to find ways for them to make commitments to further themselves on the path to salvation, and come unto Christ, but it's hard when they "forget," or simply say things like, "I'm uncomfortable praying, especially to a God I don't necessarily believe in." I love the challenge each of them present, and cannot wait to continue teaching them, and teach the people prepared for me in Italy! The last note on instruction came from Bro Eggert, the MTC Choir Director, who taught us the true meaning of the hymn, Nearer My God To Thee. As I learned how it teaches of the experiences Jacob had in the Bible, and the solace he found in loneliness and destitution, I was taken aback. The words testify so majestically of the solace we can find in Christ, I encourage you to take a closer look when you get the chance!

3) Miscellaneous - Gym time is one refuge from a mentally battering spiritual storm. While
I love that storm, and am a little bit of a storm chaser in that regard, that hour I get 6 days a week is truly a blessing. While there are no Germans to ball up, (sorry Sim), I've compensated with the Romanians in our Zone. There isn't a better team in all the MTC than the Italian Scallions, and I can testify based on the spiritually high percentage from deep I have shot since arriving here. Besides gym time, we have been given the chance to go the temple every week on P-Day. Each time we go, and I spend time there, I am touched by the love the Savior has for me, and for the covenants I've made.

Anziano Toronto outside the Provo Temple. 

My favorite scripture of the week is D&C 42:14 And the Spirit shall be given to you by the prayer of faith; and if ye receive not the spirit, ye shall not teach! I truly recognize how powerful the Spirit is when I try to speak, and how hard it is to learn and teach without it!

I love hearing from each of you, and am thankful for the way you all support me!

I pray every night for each of you by name!

Love,

Anziano Toronto II


No comments:

Post a Comment