About Me

The adventures of Christian Toronto, a full-time missionary serving in the Rome Italy Mission (Dec 2016-Dec 2018). Christian grew up in Minnesota, then moved to Colorado right before his senior year in high school. He is the third of seven children. He was attending Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah prior to his missionary call. Christian's older brother Simeon completed his mission in Rome, Italy a day before Christian left for his so they literally swapped places. We call them our Roman soldiers for Christ. In his free time, Christian loves basketball, tennis, american history and politics, and music.

Wednesday, June 28, 2017

S/O to Sergio



Fam,

Not a ton to update on this week! No earthquakes, no fish eaten... rather boring actually, until p-day!



We woke up at 4 AM, (this is becoming a bad habit), and we hopped on a train headed for Ascoli Piceno, a city in which 2 Anziani in our district serve. We arrived in Ascoli at 7:05, and by 7:15 we were playing tennis with an ex-semi pro contact named Sergio that the Ascoli Anziani are teaching (see photo). What a blast!!! For the first time in 6 months I got to absolutely wail on a tennis ball, and after shaking off some major rust, I slid right back into form. My serve clicked, and it was if I had never left the court... the Lord truly blesses his servants who make sacrifices😁

Although I didn't manage to pull off the victory with Anziano Mayer, who had never before played tennis, I did manage a little better with Anziano Ferrara, who was, in his own words, "a High School PE all-star"! I cannot tell y'all how fun it was being out on that court again, but, like everything else, I leave it again to serve... A serve that gets rusty through service is a serve easily regained, let that be an extremely profound lesson for all of us this week😉



Other highlights included lunch at another contact's pizzeria, where we ate, wait for it... not pizza! Instead we had a variety of meats, including pork, steak, and last, but in the taste category certainly not least, rabbit! (Also for those concerned for my health back home, I ate some salad too...)

Also a steaming highlight has to be the Gesù statue, only slightly less famous than that found in Rio Di Janeiro, which required a substantial hike to summit. The view was well worth the many ounces of sweat lost along the way!



The only negative thing I could possibly say about how things are going, would be the heat. Regularly during the day, temperatures hover in the mid 90s, and being on the sea, humidity is a definite factor. I don't know that I've ever sweat in my life as much as I've sweat in the last two weeks, literally holy buckets😥

Sweat is a small price to pay for the great work we're undertaking here in Pescara, and I can't wait to sweat some more this week!

All my love,

Anziano Toronto II 🇮🇹


No comments:

Post a Comment